Tuesday, May 20, 2008

3,497 MILES LATER








So I am made it safely into Alaska. I got to the airport around 520am and Airtran charges $20 for you to check 2 bags so just a heads up.The flight from BWi to Seattle was about 51/2 hours then i think it was 2hours to Jeuno and 24 minuet flight to Petersburg. I was met by a very big bearded man named Dave people also call him Oso ( which means bear in some language) He definitely has been around and knows what he is doing and I cant wait to hear his stories. Petersburg has really one road which is a 3 mile loop. I have already walked to the grocery store to pick up food for dinner tonight and food for tomorrow since I am meeting Dave and some others at 7am to hike into the woods to work on setting up camp. We should then make it to the boat around 7:30am to boat over to the other island where camp is. Also our food for the 10 days is helicoptered in to us and we will go into the woods on a Monday and come out that following Wed. The bunk house I stay at on my 4 days off is really nice. It has a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a living room. I am rooming with Lucy she is on a different crew and she is working on researching salmon, she is from Jeuno. I was for about 20 minuets before I saw 5 deer and 2 bald eagles. There are mountains all around us with white snow covered peaks and you can see the mountains from Canada. I also want to see if I can check out the Salmon Derby this week and the rumor is true milk is $5.99 a gallon here. The first pic is us flying over Montana, the second is us on the airstrip in Jeuno and the 3rd is the deer I saw!

2 comments:

Laura Etzler said...

Hi Tory

I am jealous already.. why didn't I have these adventures?

HA

Aunt Laurie

LCinDC said...

Tor, It sounds and looks way better than you could have ever expected. How much are plane tickets again? Have a great time and be safe! Keep taking lots of pics to make us all jealous and bitter... Love you, Lauren