Friday, July 18, 2008

All the Salmon and Blue berries you could hope for

So Iam back in town once again. The last hitch went well. We used up all the bundles of plank and will get more dropped in. Everyone is working their own plank projects now above the log deck and Josh and I are working on the log deck. I like it but its just a much slower process then the planking. It rained a lot more then all the hitches combined so it was kinda hard to get motivated. Drama has kinda happened with one of the paid employees and she has been taken off the saw so I was asked if I would like to learn and of course I am jumping at the opportunity. So on Monday I will get trained in chainsaw use and I am pretty excited about that. The berry season is in bloom and in town they are just about ripe. On the trail they are ripe on the flat but wont be seen till later up by camp. The Salmon berries are a deep red when ripe and look like raspberries.
So I am just going to put this out their since it's been on my mind a lot lately but I am not to sure about going back to college. I would love peoples opinions and see what you have to say about it but this is what I think....
School will always be their and I can go back at anytime. Its a big decision and I realize that and I don't want to regret it but Iam not happy when Iam at school. Life is short and you get one spin at it so why waste my time with something my heart is not in? I can keep doing stuff like this and move up once I gain more experience, I can do AmeriCorps again, I am looking into a back country crew in California which people know people and I would most likely get a spot. This kinda of stuff does not make a lot or tons of money but by working on trials and living this kind of lifestyle I would not need money. I have been offered a paid job to stay here in Alaska working on the trail we are working on now once the crew leaves. It would be a small crew of about 5 just cranking out trail. I just feel like my opportunities are endless right now and I could do anything that my mind can think of. I have nothing holding me back.

1 comment:

LCinDC said...

I think you need to finish school... These other opportunities will still be there in 2 years too. Plus you'll have way more possibilities since you'll have a degree. It would be much harder to come back to school in a few years than it is now. You better come back...