Saturday, July 5, 2008

I am back in town and ready to head back out already. The hitch went well we finally got our helicopter drop of plank. Now we can hopefully start cranking out some trail. I feel like it has been really slow going up on the mountain. We had some issues with the helicopter drop spot because we had to fall some trees in order to make some room in the canopy. One tree was holding on by a splinter and then got hung up in a tree near by. Finally, it came down and we just finished making this hill side safe for hikers and ourselves. I was ready to leave the mountain when I knew a shower was in the near future for me. But being in town for about 24 hours I was already to go back to the mountain.
Dana (a girl on the crew) and I were talking on Wednesday round 3 in the afternoon and decided that it was not too late to hitch hike to 3 Lakes. We were packed in 10 minutes and had our PB and J’s made. Three lakes is about 25 miles out of town and each lake has a row boat. We brought a tent ad pitched it in the one 3 sided shelter they have. We hiked to all 3 lakes and out to Frederick Sound. A grizzly bear was seen in the area the day before so we brought bear spray with us. It was more for a peace of mind even though if the bear wanted to eat us it would since you need to be 15 feet from the bear when using the bear bomb. There are only black bears on Mitkof island so the grizzly had to have swam over from a near by island looking for food. In the end no sight of a bear on our trip. As for hitch hiking we got a ride from a lady with her two kids out to the Trees (RV park about mile 15). Then we had to walk for about a mile until a guy heading out to the cannery picked us up and dropped us off at the trail head. People definitely have some interesting stories and its kinda funny what people will tell you about their life. The woman that picked us up moved to Alaska to get away from the in-laws, which then they moved here so they are moving again. The guy that picked us up graduated high school in 2006 and in just 3 seasons of fishing bought his house at mile 4 down the highway! On the way home we walked for about 2 miles until we got a ride all the way back into town from a lady that works at the airport here for TSA. Overall it was a very successful first hitch hike. Also, I think its funny that at mile 20 the paved road ends and from their on it’s a gravel road. We also saw a porcupine and Moose tracks.
Then was the 4th of July. The parade lasting about 2 minuets and went a total of 2 blocks. Then they circled around the block and went through again. The parade consisted of the 3 fire trucks in town and then it was mostly kids with decorated bikes, the forest service truck with Sammy the Salmon and Smokey the Bear. They had events all day like egg toss, bed race, 2x6 , which was boots nailed to a 2x6 and 4 people had to walk their was to the finished line. At 6 was the log roll and main harbor and it was $5. I had to do it because I new if I didn’t I would never get the chance to log roll again. So the rules were basically 18 and over, no shoes and life jacket. I of course was paired up with Jill 2 year champion in the first round and was knocked out. You get onto the log off the dock and then two guys with these really long sticks with hooks on the end pushed the log out away from the dock and then you started to roll. I am happy that I was still standing up on the log after they just pushed us away from the dock. Fireworks were at 11 here since it does not get dark till about 10:30pm. I was really impressed with the fireworks I thought they were going to be lame and last about 30 seconds. It was a good show and I have never been close enough to see them shoot off the ground and then go up in the air. Also the mountains in the background made it ever cooler. At the end the light propane tanks on fire and there were huge fire balls in the air. I am thinking that next 4th of July I will bring log rolling and propane tanks back to Maryland’s 4th.
Tonight Sex in the City the movie plays at the high school. I am not really into it but I think I will go because afterwards its Lady’s night at Kido’s Kave. That’s a big deal here to since they don’t have happy hours at the bars so I drink special will be nice since everything is so expensive.

Here are some random things I have noticed or loved about Petersburg:

When you check out a book from the library they still take out the card from the pocket and stamp it with the return by date.

Everyone waves or says hi when driving or walking around

The town dog will follow you on you errands and wait for you to come back out of the store

They have a newspaper that comes out once a week

One paved road in the town and have no traffic lights

Alright so off to the mountain on Monday for another 10 days, also my cell phone has no service so don’t try calling cause its off till end of August.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Wow, Tory, I am so loving your blog. You are having quite an experience in Alaska. I think you should write a book for special ed. students so I could read it to my classes. It looks beautiful in your pictures. If only you weren't living in a tent and using skunk plant leaves for toilet paper, and have a wooden toilet! Other than that, oh, and having to hitch hike to get places, if it weren't for all that, maybe I'd come visit!!! The happy hour night sounded like a possibility!
Really, Tory, it sounds like a great experience. You are amazing, I sure couldn't have done anything like that at your age, my age either. As Lauren would probably say, "Di, your're old".
Take care and keep writing!!!
Mrs. Henriques aka "Di"